If you have experience in teaching others how to play a popular game and are a highly ranked player, you could potentially earn some side income by becoming a gaming coach. As a coach, you will help other gamers become stronger players by building skills and overcoming bad habits.
What Does a Gaming Coach Do?
While responsibilities will vary depending on the game you are coaching and your client’s needs, here are a few things that most gaming coaches are asked to do:
How to Become a Gaming Coach at a School
If you want to become a professional gaming coach that works at schools or universities, you may need to get a teaching certificate. Research what is required in your specific area, then pursue it as a career. Often, when coaching on a school level, there is more of an emphasis on the teaching skill than the skill of a particular game.
How to Become a Private Gaming Coach
Once you have found the coaching platform that most appeals to you, you will need to apply to become a gaming coach (or set up a Fiverr profile). Whether you are filling out an application or setting up your game coaching bio, you will want to make sure to cover the following details:
- Gaming Experience – When did you start gaming? What games do you play? What ranks did you reach? Do you have professional gaming experience? Have you won tournaments?
- Coaching Experience – If you have taught, tutored or coached in the past, make sure to mention it in your application. Include references if you can.
- Game Specialization – Explain what areas of a game you excel in and how you will be able to train others to improve their game over time.
Where to Become a Private Gaming Coach
One of the easiest ways to become a private gaming coach is to sign up with a coaching platform online. You will need to find one that offers the game that you know well as a choice. Some popular options include:
- GamerSensei – offering services in over 20 games, GamerSensei is a popular gaming platform that attracts people looking for coaches.
- Fiverr – an online marketplace where you can work as a freelance, creating your own rules and prices.
- Pro Guides – if you are an expert in one of the games they offer, you may be able to get a position as a coach or work with their YouTube series.
How Much Money Do Gaming Coaches Earn?
Coaching salaries will vary from coach to coach depending on experience, supply, and demand on the game you are coaching, and more. Most coaches will be able to earn between $10-25 per hour (when they have clients), though some will eventually be able to charge hundreds (and rarely thousands) for a single session.
When pricing your own work, it is a good idea to see what similarly skilled coaches are charging and price yourself in the same range.
If you have a lot of gaming skills and love to teach others to follow in your footsteps, you may be able to work as a gaming coach online. Coaches can help many gamers improve their game over time and become stronger players.