fbpx

Search StreamScheme

Stream Scheme

Twitch Statistics 2020

Twitch is a live-streaming platform where content creators broadcast video games and other content on their own personal channels. Amazon purchased Twitch in August 2014 and has owned and managed it ever since.

Twitch Growth in 2020

Twitch has continually grown year over year from its initial launch. In January 2019, Twitch had the following metrics:

  • 36,904,939 hours streamed
  • 85,936 channels were continually live on average
  • 25.57 viewer ratio across the platform

While the numbers started similarly in January, global events (such as the Covid-19 pandemic) kept people at home, skyrocketing the platform in a matter of weeks. In April, 2020, the metrics were as follows:

  • 67,490,732 hours streamed
  • 93,867 channels were continually live on average
  • 26.76 viewer ratio across the platform

Twitch Demographics

Average Monthly Users

These were the average Twitch user stats from April, 2020 according to SullyGnome:

  • 2,492,780 average viewers (83,092 daily)
  • 4,455,065 peak viewers (148,502 daily)
  • 93,867 average channels (3,128 daily)

During the month, the following happened:

  • 24,646 games were played
  • Streamers broadcasted 17,814,917 times
  • Viewers watched Twitch for a total of 1,792,309,113 hours

Gender Ratio

According to GlobalWebIndex in Q2 2019, 65% of Twitch users are male and 35% are female.

In Q3, 2017 Twitch published their stats stating that 81.5% of the user base was male, leaving 18.5% of the platform for females. The shift in userbase may have been influenced by the introduction of the Creative section in 2018, opening up many other categories for new streamers and viewers to enjoy.

Average Age

According to GlobalWebIndex in Q2 2019, this is an approximation of the age demographic on Twitch, ranging in age from 16-64 years in age:

  • 16 to 24 year olds: 41%
  • 25 to 34 year olds: 32%
  • 35 to 44 year olds: 17%
  • 45 to 54 year olds: 7%
  • 55 to 64 year olds: 3%

How Many Twitch Partners are There?

In March 2020, it was reported that there were 41,100 Twitch partners.

Top 5 Countries That Use Twitch

According to SimilarWeb, here are the top 5 countries that sent traffic to Twitch in April 2020:

  • United States of America – 22.98% of users
  • Germany – 7.07%
  • Russia – 5.60%
  • Republic of Korea – 4.96%
  • France – 4.24%

Twitch Revenue

How Much Does Twitch Make?

While the exact figures haven’t been released, Forbes reported that Twitch was hoping to earn $1 billion in 2019. Twitch earns revenue in the following ways:

  • Ads – ads play at the beginning of a stream on every channel that is affiliated or partnered. While partners earn the revenue from ads on their channel, affiliates split the revenue with Twitch.
  • Subscriptions – Twitch earns 50% of the revenue from subscriptions made on every channel on their platform. In some cases with top partners, Twitch will take less of a cut.
  • Bit Sales – Bits are Twitch’s platform currency. Viewers use bits to donate to streamers. Twitch takes a cut from Bit sales.
  • Twitch Turbo – the Twitch Turbo subscription allows viewers to forgo seeing ads on the platform.

How Much is Twitch Worth?

According to Investopedia, Twitch is worth approximately $3.79 billion, nearly 4 times the amount that it was purchased for in 2014.

Twitch Compared to Other Platforms

Twitch is the top-watched streaming platform for gamers. Here is where they set compared to their competition (according to Forbes):

  • Twitch – 73% of market share
  • YouTube Gaming – 21% of market share
  • Facebook Gaming – 3% of market share
  • Mixer – 3% of market share

Twitch Strategies

There is a lot of discussion on whether or not streamer should use a webcam when they broadcast on Twitch. In 2019, we asked frequent Twitch users whether or not they would click on a channel where the streamer wasn’t using a camera. Of the 82 people who replied, here were the results:

  • 59% said that they would click on a channel where the streamer wasn’t using a camera.
  • 41% said that they would bypass a channel with no camera.
Infographic of Twitch growth in 2020 covering average monthly users, gender ratio, number of Twitch Partners, top counties that use Twitch, Twitch revenue, Twitch vs other platforms

Share this Infographic On Your Site

Please include attribution to Streamscheme.com

Back to top