Once per year, during the month of September, viewers are given more of an incentive to subscribe to their favorite channels on Twitch. The event is called SUBtember and there are a few ways that streamers can maximize the event on their own channels.
What is SUBtember on Twitch?
SUBtember was first celebrated in 2017. The term is a play on words, merging together the words “Sub” and “September.” During the month of September, subscriptions on Twitch are discounted, making it more affordable for followers to support their favorite streamers.
Broadcasters who are trying to hit specific sub goals to unlock emotes or meet milestones can create special events throughout the month to make the most of the event. While the details of SUBtember vary from year to year, streamer strategies can remain the same.
Twitch SUBtember 2020
In 2020, Capital One is sponsoring SUBtempber. During the month of September, viewers will be able to subscribe to channels under the following conditions:
- 20% off new and recurring one-month subs
- 25% off new and recurring three-month subs (must pay for three months during the month of September)
- 30% off new and recurring six-month subs (must pay for six months during the month of September)
Viewer benefits of Twitch subscriptions will be the same for SUBtember as they are for subs during any other time of the year.
Note: a “New subscription” is to a channel that you have not been subscribed to for 32 days or more.
How to Make the Most of SUBtember
If you are trying to reach Twitch milestones, using SUBtember is a great way to generate a few extra subs, potentially unlock emotes, and build your community. Here are a few things you can try:
- 24 Hour Twitch Stream – marathon streams generally create a lot of hype which will naturally entice people to support your channel more. Often, you will gain more viewers throughout the day (and night) and will be noticed by more people.
- Adjust Hype Train Settings – if you don’t usually get hype trains on your channel, look to see if you can adjust the settings so that you get will more through the month of September.
- SUBtember in Your Title – add the term at the end of your title and create a Streamlabs command to explain the concept to your viewers. When people remember that there is a discount, they are more likely to subscribe to your channel.
- Create Subscriber Incentives – create milestones for your viewers and unlock incentives as people reach them. Have several clearly posted in your profile so that people know what they are pushing toward. Keep them fun so that your viewers enjoy pushing toward each incentive.
Past SUBtember Promotions on Twitch
SUBtember started in 2017 and promotions have varied each year. Here is the history of SUBtember on Twitch:
- 2017 – viewers were given a 50% discount on new subs. The promotion began on September 6 and ran through October 18.
- 2018 – viewers were able to continue Twitch gifted subs for $1. The promotion ran from September 10-30.
- 2019 – this SUBtember was sponsored by Subway. Viewers were given 50% off all tier 1 subscriptions. Subway also gave streamers 10% more revenue for bits received during the month.
Not only is SUBtember a good play on words, it gives viewers another incentive on how they can support their favorite streamers. I hope that this event continues to happen year after year.